Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Cloud

This is my holiday project for this year. I was sold it by The Nimble Thimble when I was last there, the beginning of August. It was something a bit different for me. I can crochet but generally I don't. I like lacy shawls, but I don't often make them. Still they were impressed with the pattern, the samples were lovely and there was a crochet expert in the building. I ended up buying the project and actually two extra balls of wool.

The pattern is called Cloud and is from the Rowan book 'Misty in Light and Shade' by Kim Hargreaves. It is supposed to make up a 60" x 30" triangle from 4 balls but I fancied a bigger wrap to use in the van so I started with 226 stitches. I could have gone a bit bigger as it truns out but the shawl is still a good size, too big to photograph to be honest. I had to wait for a hook to start this project. It calls for a 9mm which is pretty hard to get but the ladies at the Nimble Thimble got them in for me. It's the first time I jave used a wooden hook and I loved it. I think it was quicker and easier to use than the metal or plasic ones. I made this shawl in 3 days and loved every minute of it.

I've already been in touch with the shop about my next project. When I was there I saw broomstick crochet for the first time. It looks fun and I want to play. My broomstick is already on order, I am sure they will be able to find me some suitable yarn and a small wooden crochet hook too. If you fancy having a go at this pattern the shop has it on special offer at the moment and even if they have sold out of the hooks again they will happily order them in for you.

4 comments:

Fenland Textile Studio said...

I love this. Is broomstick crochet the same as extreme crochet?

Ferret said...

Assuming extreme crochet is the same idea as extreme knitting, no. It's cool though. I like the look of these as a quick project,

http://blog.grittyknits.com/ViewEntry_broomsticklacewristlets.aspx

and this blanket made up full size might be good too.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/BabyChild/LW2190+Broomstick+Lace+Baby+Blanket.htm

Ferret said...

Poop, looks like you will have to cut and paste the links back together sorry.

Fenland Textile Studio said...

No problems. I've managed to have a look at both. Can't wait to get my C&G diploam out of the way so I can play with more things.