Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Who am I?

Before I start the post proper, let me apologise for the gap in posts. My ISP has been playing up and I have been mostly without Internet access for a few days. It is scary how cut off this can make you feel when you work from home on your own. I have got so fed up I am now writing the post offline in the hopes that I will be able to cut and paste it if I do get a short burst of access.

Anyway, I have been very busy quilting for others recently and that means lots of time to listen to books. I have finally finished going through the whole Harry Potter series and have started work on Robert Heinlein.

I've known for a while I largely brought myself up and Heinlein had contributed greatly to my outlook on life, but re-reading (and listening) to the books has really brought home how much he influenced
me. It has also become clear to me how little of his work is really science fiction. It seems to be far more concerned with human interaction, morals, rights and responsibilities. It is fascinating how
much this has influenced me, without me really being aware of it.

In a similar vein, there has been a list discussing music as inspiration recently. Yes lyrics (and actually poetry it's very close relative) does inspire me a lot. It is one of the reasons I prefer to have the
television on or listen to a book when I am working. I find music very distracting, as I see all sorts of designs from it. There are two albums by one band which I would like to produce a whole series of quilts from. I haven't started it yet as I feel I should ask the musicians before I do it, given I would be making so much work from it that I think the source would be obvious. I just hope I have enough time to make all these designs I am coming up with.

No comments: