Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hrumph

I want to show you pictures, of my quilts at the show and of what I am working on, but my computer isn't playing. For some reason it doesn't like my new big memory card. I do have a plan for getting the pictures off, it involves trying to smile sweetly at others to do it for me, so bear with me. The pictures will be here eventually.

Tuesday I went into London, primarily to get new chair arms, but while I was there I felt I needed to get value for money out of my travel card so a minor shopping trip followed. The most arty purchase was a book of art. I've seen a few pieces by Ilene Meyer in other books, but I now have a whole book of them. They are very surreal but I think they have a lot of great quilt concepts in them. If you haven't seen any do go and have a look at at Meyer World. I will warn you that it is a site that needs flash to view it, something I am normally very much against, but in the case of artists I will sometimes make an exception. I think this particular site is worth the effort.

I don't know if it is common knowledge but in London we have free papers given away to commuters every evening. There are vendors clustered around all the central London tube stations. I find them very annoying, they block the pavement and seem to really enjoy thwacking me with their papers. I used to try taking one paper to see if it would at least stop the others of the same time assaulting me, but it doesn't so mostly I just try to catch their arms before I get hit in the chest. I got hit by three in a short walk Tuesday. Not my best effort. However that was nothing, just outside Leicester Square station there were several vendors and I was working hard trying to dodge them. I didn't see the packing straps they had left on the floor (and were standing on the end of) and I caught my foot. I went flying. Apparently it looked very impressive. From my point of view I had long enough to think "why isn't my foot moving?" "It's caught, feels like plastic strapping" "OUCH!". Followed by lying on the pavement then thinking I needed to move before I got trampled. I hit my elbow, breast and knee. The first two are annoying but my knee is something of a concern. I've knocked my knees about a lot and they are very unforgiving these days. Even at the time I knew this was going to be trouble. I did take the time to suggest (OK I wasn't that polite, I was annoyed) that they might like to use their rubbish bags instead of just dropping the litter on the floor. I don't know if they took any notice.

Anyway there was a point to that, I can't stand for any length of time at the moment. My knee just isn't playing that game. It is bruised and swollen and I can't even wear my braces without causing it more pain. This is not ideal for a longarm quilter, and actually it isn't too good for drawing designs. I often kneel on my chair, and always with my right knee. I didn't know I was right kneed until today. I have tried to rest on it so many times it is just silly.

I have managed to trace off my wings design in two sizes, which is good. I've prepared my design for Hever, and the Guild Challenge at the NEC. It's all things I needed to do, but I would have like to have been able to plan my own work order. Still I have lots more sitting work to do, so I think that is what I will be doing the next few days.

3 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Poor you. Did you get the name of the freebie so you can complain to the publisher?

Ferret said...

Yes, I figure a letter to them copied to the mayors office. I know there have been mutterings about banning them from handing them out on the street, partly because of litter partly because of the obstruction they cause. Given my knee is even more painful this morning, I will probably be writing the letter today while I have to be sitting down.

Dormouse said...

Ow!!! Poor you! As someone who also has bad knees due to a number of injuries you have my total sympathy. It is so frustrating as well. :(

Those paper pushers are a real menace so I'm all for you resting your knee and writing snotty letters to the publishers and Ken.