Friday, April 27, 2007

I think I am a REAL business now

OK so in most ways I have been a real business for some time now but yesterday I felt I became more proper. Not due to the number of calls from customers. Not due to the number of orders I was sending out. No, just from the amount of paperwork that needed doing. I've read lots of book saying to set aside a day a week for paperwork, but I have never had enough to fill a day. Suddenly I had enough for two days. I have battled with it and I am not all up to date again (which feels great BTW) but I think it is a sign I have made it. Funny isn't it the signs that really tell us we are making progress.

One of my jobs was to get my entries in for Sandown. The deadline is Tuesday so by my standards I am practically early. I am just waiting on the last picture to print now, hence having time to chat to you. I only decided on this entry at the weekend. I knew I aught to enter a longarmed bed quilt in honour of Fran, but nothing had been leaping out at me, and most of my current quilts were off at other shows. I had pretty much given up on the idea and was going to stick with the smaller quilts I have entered. Then at the shop hop I was awarded my gift voucher, and I was telling a lot of people about the new strip club. Yes that is quilt related not the other sort. So I spent a lot of time looking at the patterns for strips. One really appealed to me, Ripple Effect, so much so I had bought a copy when I had been at the Chilford show. By the end of Saturday I was tired and I just wanted something really simple to sew. So several bundles of strips and off home. I have only worked on it in between other jobs as a way to relax but I now have half the blocks finished ready to into the quilt.

I had to take a picture of it in progress for the entry form so I though I might as well share it here too. Of course the blocks won't actually end up in these positions, as there are mirror image blocks to fit in too. The finished top will be king size, this is just the center of the single here. I am a little disappointed at the contrast. I thought the black would be darker, but I should have learned from Robin's experience with Burning Chrome, black and white fabrics don't read as that dark when they are cut up. I also though the batiks looked louder, but they have toned down too. Still I think the pattern is coming through and I am planning to use the quilting to accentuate the contrast, so hopefully that will enhance the pattern.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I entirely hear you when it comes to paperwork. It's so tempting just to put it to one side and think "I'll do it tomorrow", but then you wind up with a pile the size of the Empire State, and also people tend not to pay you if you haven't billed them :)

Nellie's Needles said...

Your "Ripple Quilt" color combination is luminous. The b&w print fabrics became neutral and make the hued fabrics shine. Great effect!

Penny said...

I really like the effect of the quilt.

Ferret said...

Well I have been keeping on top of it then it all arrives at show time when I am trying to do entry forms. Add a nice batch of orders (which I really really appreciate please don't save me this work :) and you suddenly have paperwork.

Glad you guys think it is OK, it isn't at all what I was expecting. I have the 2 sets of borders for it now and I think they will really enhance it a lot. We shall see.