Thursday, December 07, 2006

Where to start?

Blogger hasn't liked me the last few days, it isn't letting me upload photos at the moment. I have finished the origami quilt, it is called "...And Fly Away". I will keep trying to put up the pictures, but I don't know when blogger is going to start working again.

I have also been doing more drawing. It was recommended that I do life drawing so I have been giving that a go. I haven't been thrilled with my results but I have finally got one that I am prepared to share. Of course I can't upload that either at the moment. Rest assured that you will get to see it sometime. I have also been reading a new book on drawing, and specifically shading. It has an interesting exercise in it, to check that you can draw accurately. You are given a drawing in little squares out of order and have to redraw them in the right order. I loved this, but I had nearly finished and couldn't see any kind of image. This was rather worrying so I asked the nearest friend if he could see what I was drawing. Yes he could, and it was funny. He did say there was a reason I couldn't see it. Great, so I carried on, two squares from the end I got it, the image was upside down. Even worse I KNOW I couldn't possibly draw that picture. Hmmm, I've been outwitted by a book. At least I think the book was written by a human so technically they outwitted me.

...and finally I have heard from Road 2 California. I think I mentioned that I had a rejection letter a few days ago, and I have been trying not to get my hopes up for the other two quilts. Well I needn't have worried, I have two acceptance letters. I am amazed. I never expected to get one in let alone two. So all of you who have been asking to see my work in person, if you are in California, this is your chance. I have to wait for the hard copy letter to get here to have all the details but at least I know I need to start looking into ways to get them there on time. The two quilts going are 'Wait' and 'Miss Baltimore'.

6 comments:

Dormouse said...

That's an interesting way of stopping your concious mind from filling in what it thinks an image 'should' look like. Nice way to mess with your head too.

Congrats on getting both quilts accepted. Brilliant!!!

margaret said...

Congrats on the quilts being accepted!
For drawing, another thing that overcomes hesitation is drawing on the bus -- as soon as it stops, find a little something out the window to draw, then stop when the bus goes again. You can do a whole journey in a page, with the "bits" overlapping -- this is a "process, not product" thing...

Ferret said...

I have to admit, I am rather impressed with the book, but that was very sneaky.

I like the idea of drawing things when traveling. I don't use busses but I think I could do the same thing on the tube or maybe in the car. I will give it a go.

Beverly said...

Congratulations on havng the two quilts juried into the show! Wish I was just a little closer, so I could see them--

Nellie's Needles said...

YEAH! YEAH! A cheer for each of your two accepted pieces.

Ferret said...

Well if you know of shows closer to you, that allow international entries let me know. I am always on the lookout for other places to display my work.