Monday, December 11, 2006

Read the entry form.

OK so as I child I was told to always read exam papers carefully because people, apparently, often fail because they don't do what they are asked. So why did I entirely fail to read the instructions for the AQS Paducah show.

I was planning on entering 'Nude with Rope 1', but I can't. It is too small to be large and too large to be small. In fact having read the instructions it seems I don't make quilts at all :( All of my quilts fall into gaps in the sizes so can't be entered. I might be able to find a bed quilt that I could enter but it wouldn't be my best work. I could add more background to the nude, but I don't want to. It's shape is a deliberate part of the design and I don't think I want to change that just to please a show. So I guess I now need to find an image that will work 60" to 110" wide and at least 40" long. Oh and of course finish it by Christmas. Yeah right.

Equally none of the 'small' wall quilts I was thinking of entering are the right size either. They have to be 40" to 60" by at least 40". Again not really a shape I want to work with but at the same time I really want to enter this show. I am very disappointed that all my quilts are wrong. Or perhaps I am just sad they only allow such a small range of sizes. To think people have complained at how big I work, my work is too small.

Oh and knowing it is my fault for not reading the forms really doesn't help.

5 comments:

Linda Cline said...

AQS tends to be more traditional. You aren't making real traditional quilts, but very real art quilts. Set your eyes on Quilt National or other venues that focus on art first, and quilting second.

Ferret said...

Thanks, having considered all the options I can come up with I now feel I might be better off skipping this show. It always makes it easier for me when someone else tells me I might be better not doing some work. I think I will get back to my rather arty projects.

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Ferret! That is awful! Such a wonderful Art quilt, and now you can't share its beauty in Paducha. That is very sad. But as was said, it will have other oppertunities to shine. I have never entered a show, and perhaps someday if I get the chance I will learn your lesson. I know I would have done the same thing. I tend to skip over important details. I think that part of our brain is overshadowed by our other talents. That is what I like to tell myself anyway!

Ferret said...

Well from what I hear this quilt wouldn't have been popular at Paducah anyway. I may yet come up with something that will fit their sizes, but I am not going to stress over it. I have a whole list of shows I want to try and I will focus my efforts there.

Penny said...

That really is frustrating for you!