Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Me and my bright ideas

So I have this great plan for my challenge quilt. It is really good honest, well I think it is. It sprang into my head ready to go, and it doesn't look too tricky. On the other hand I seem to have greatly underestimated the time needed to make it. The body of the quilt is only A3 and is complete, but the embellishments are taking forever. I think I put in nearly 8 hours yesterday on them and so far another 2 hours today. I think another 5 or 6 might do the trick, but this is supposed to be a fast quilt. Whups. I guess it has been a learning experience regardless. I now know one more thing that will take longer than I could ever have imagined. The quilt has also consumed a surprising amount of fabric, something else I will be aware of next time I try something like this.

3 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Sounds to me as though you are listening to the dictates of the piece. That's a good thing. There are so many quilters that don't understand, or respect, that a piece takes on its own "persona" and makes demands. For me this "dialog" is part of the adventure of creating.

Ferret said...

Yay, I like that idea.I got half the binding on last night. The binding is all individual scales, and I love the effect, but again, it isn't quick. Still I will love it when it is finished.

Beverly said...

You have definitely piqued my curiosity- can't wait to see it. I've opted out of this month, I'm on a roll with another project and didn't want to interrupt the flow.

I'm sorry to hear about your fellow artist/friend.