Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fabric Origami

I've been taking my first attempt at fabric origami today. It doesn't sound too tricky does it. There are lots of quilting techniques that involve folding fabric. Well I have very singed fingers my back aches and I haven't got very far. I think part of the problem is that I am being very picky about my folds but even so. To make the crease I have to get the iron pretty close to my fingers, and then coordinate moving my fingers and blasting the steam. I haven't quite got that maneuver sorted yet. I also realized that I have to avoid pressing the whole length of creases that intersect, as doing that wipes out the crease I put in before. It isn't something you have to think about with paper. On the other hand I think the design is going to work. I am laying things out as I go and I like what I see. It does look like I will need a lot more origami than I expected, but it should still be a two or three day project, and I can't complain at that.

I am still kicking one of the designs for the SAQA show. It still isn't quite right but I don't know why. So much it how I want it, but I just have a feeling that something isn't happy. At least I am sure I am happy with the background so I can get on with that as soon as this current quilt is done. From past experience I will figure out the problem just in time, but it will be close. Why is it that my brain works best under significant time pressure?

Finally if you are the person who bought my Priority Azheimers Quilt at Houston I would love to hear from you. I know this message might be a bit late, but I keep forgetting to do it. I am pretty sure it did sell as Ami said she had sold the same number of quilts as she said she was taking. I would just love to know where it ended up. I am quite interested in which way up it is too. I couldn't decide which was the top.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a stiletto to help with your fabric folding. Doesn't work as well as nimble fingers, but with practice it helps keep from being burnt. Hope you are going to post some photos of your project!

Ferret said...

Duh! I have two great stillettos and it never occoured to me to use them. How dim can I be? I think I just need to do one more piece now. I will put pictures up as soon as I can. It will probably be the end of the month.

Penny said...

I've recently been thinking about paper oragami: fabric origami sounds interesting as well/

Ferret said...

It certainly works. Give it a go, I am sure there are lots of cool projects to do with it.

Nellie's Needles said...

When having to manipulate fabric close to the iron I wear an old white glove. My favorite is a heavy sueded cotton from a pair I used wear "way back when". I keep that pair of gloves stored with my ironing supplies.

Ferret said...

Hmmm, I could give it a go. I tend to find it hard to manouver things with gloves on, but I really don't like burning my fingers this much :)