Thursday, October 05, 2006

Challenge quilt - things I forgot.

The quilt is about 11"x15" I say about because I haven't trimmed it yet. I think it will be pretty close to that size though. The scraps I used for the leaves were cut several colours at a time. This meant that they scattered and mixed really nicely with very little intervention from me. The branches I put down first, and did position with a bit more care. I did make sure I had leaves covering the bottom of the trunks, but that only needed a little herding, not careful positioning. I don;t think it would have looked as natural if I had tried to position each piece. It would also have taken forever, the leaves are all significantly smaller that quarter inch square. The only thing holding the leaves in place is the quilting.

The first idea I had was to make the path and sky from mesh, some sort of netting. I was going to cut the wadding to the shape of the tree trunks then stitch black netting into the space for the path and white into the sky. Then piece the trunks exactly as I ended up doing it. After that I was thinking I would add the little bits of fabric and another layer of net. I decided against doing it this way because I wanted the sky to be definitely blue, I wanted the path to be solid, and I wasn't sure I would like the look of the net over the branches and leaves.

1 comment:

Dormouse said...

Thanks for the added info. It really is brilliant.

I replied to your query about the spinning store thing in my blog but in case you don't get there for a while their website is http://www.yourtouchofcraft.com.