Wednesday, February 28, 2007

It's all about the fish



I remembered that I had another quilt you guys haven't seen. This is my entry to the shop hop challenge. We were told the fabrics we had to use and the minimum size. The fabrics have an oriental theme and we had to make a table runner. I would only use a table runner for a very special occasion, I am too messy to have a cloth on the table normally. So I wanted something special, and oriental. It had to be sushi.

As you may have noticed I love my sushi.The idea of a table loaded with sushi beautifully set on a table runner. Perfect.Initially I wanted to cut the words in to the runner. Unfortunately I couldn't find fish that I likes that had characters that would work. I settled on salmon, tuna, mackerel. I hope they read OK. I had a very small phrasebook to work from and it wasn't easy to see which way the strokes went. I know enough to know it is important but I don't know enough to be sure if I got it right. If anyone does know please let me know either way. If I have it wrong I would like to know for future reference. Also is it legible?

I think that for those who don;t read Japanese it is nice to have a reversible runner (see previous comment about how messy I am). So I used the other colourway to make the back. It didn't come out quite the way I planned, but I like the result anyway. You may have noticed that I have been rather busy, and that was true when I was doing this, so I did a machine binding. Not my usual option but I was quite pleased with it. I don;t really like the look, but I think the technique was well done and for the sake of speed I can live with it. I have actually decided to do it on another project I have in the pipeline!

No comments: