Monday, June 26, 2006

Things they don't tell you about quilting




So lets start with the good news. I've got three quilts packed up ready to deliver tomorrow. I wanted to take a good picture of "Ginko Typography" today but it rained almost constantly. That's Wimbledon starting for you. I guess the one on the bed is good enough for identification, and as I am taking it straight to the show it should manage to get hung and I can get a good picture then. If they turn all the lights on this time.

Loki is proving to be tricky. I don't want to fold or roll him as he has a lot of trapunto and is tending to crease. He is just too big to fit in the clear bags I use to move quilts in. Also I know the show will try folding him up to give him back, they did last year with Skadi :( Not a lot I can do about it though so I guess I have to try not to worry.

The nudes have been given VIP treatment and bring me to the first thing no one told me about quilting. You need a respirator. I have a huge cardboard tube and I needed to cut a bit off to pack the nudes. No problem, have hacksaw will travel. As I start I see very fine dust, fine wood pulp and glue, hmmm that has to be about as good for you as MDF dust and off I trot for my respirator. I bought it for when we work on the fuel dragster as it gives off some nasty fumes but I use it far more for quilting. Indigo dying needs nasty chemicals as does natural dyes, so add it to my list of essential art tools :) I got the nude wrapped in canvas and wrapped onto the tube, discovering the second thing no one saw fit to mention. Weight lifting is not only advised it will happen. The tube a, canvas and quilt turned out to be remarkably heavy. I am so glad I am not trying to post this one. I figured as it was going to couriers warehouse I had better prepare it to withstand anything.

I followed that weight lifting with some more. Folding Ginko should be a strong man sport not only is it heavy it is stiff too. My back says I should avoid folding it in future. I am so glad that I have sent them a warning about this quilt, and I will mention it to the people who take the delivery as well. I really hope they don't try to hang it on a flimsy frame. I can't wait for next winter and the chance to have this on the bed.

Finally Miss Baltimore is almost ready to pack. She still needs her label but it only got printed at 10pm so it can wait till the morning. I have tried to take some pictures of her but they aren't great. I either need to be able to take it outside or buy a flash that works with the wide angle lens. Funnily enough I prefer having the sunny day for this job, then I can spend money on fabric not more photograph equipment. I am fairly pleased with her, but she creases really badly, and it seems to be impossible to get them out. I am hoping some will come out while she is rolled and the rest will drop out. I suspect they won't but I have run out of ideas to fix them. I didn't think the quilting showed up very well in the pictures of the front so I have included some of the back as well. Her face really doesn't look that scary from the front. I still haven't added any more quilting to the face. I think the only way to put more in would be to add diagonal lines over her whole face. The mock up we did on the computer looks OK but not great. If in doubt leave it alone, I hope that works.

1 comment:

Karoda said...

the days of just fabric thread and needles are over...hehehe...I found your blog via Nellie's Needles blog. Love the Nudes and Ms Baltimore!