Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Consequences

I've been working on my bodice patterns the last two days. Given my weight always fluctuates wildly I knew I would have to leave this as late as I could to be fairly sure of a good fit, and yes I was expecting some fitting issues. I started by making up a test garment of a pattern I've used before and is customised to my shape. It wasn't too bad except for the hulk feature at the back and shoulders and upper arms. OK I would have to start over.

Taking my measurements told I am now bigger in the back than I have ever been. Whups. So I redrew the pattern and tested the revised version. Hmm, now it's way too big in the waist and bust?! Just before I went for the third attempt a thought hit me. Could it be I have only bulked up in the shoulders and upper arms? Well I now understand why tailors just grab seams and rip them. At this stage it saves a lot of time and works fine. I quickly extracted the front of the first bodice and attached it to the new (huge) back. Bingo, it fits. I can only assume all this heavy lifting and hand guided quilting has had an effect. When a leg of mutton sleeve is tight you know things are going strange. Still I have a solution now here's hoping I can stay roughly the same size for nearly a month. Any bets?

4 comments:

Sue said...

You have most likely put on muscle around your back and shoulders. Back in the 80's I had a wonderful pair of leather boots which I adored. The following summer I started running every day to get fit. Come the winter the boots wouldn't go up over my calf muscles.Although slimmer I had put on muscle. I was mortified over my boots. Morale - you win some you lose some. Is this a bodice we might see you in at the FOQ?

Ferret said...

Yes I think that might be the issue. If it is then that quite a bit of muscle to gain from quilting. Yes it might be something you could see at the FoQ :)

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I didn't realise you actually had to model these items....
Apparently tennis player have to have clothes specially made to accomodate their serving arm. You quilt with both arms and shoulders, so this makes sense.

Trudi said...

And here I am on a reduction phase! LOL Good luck with the bodice Ferett, a toile is always a good idea :)