Friday, August 10, 2007

Where to begin?

I've just spent an amazing day out in London. Out of the blue a week or so back Esterita Austin (yes the Misty Fuse and Stone Portals Esterita) got in touch with me. We talked last year but not much since so it was a bit of a surprise. She was going to be in London so we planned a day out. Her only requirement was afternoon tea, and as one of the first places I found with an opening at short notice was opposite Buckingham Palace it made sense to go there too. As you may be aware the state rooms are open for a short time each year, which just so happens to b now. How lucky were we? If you get the chance I strongly recommend taking a look around them. Architecturally they are stunning, I have coma away with so much inspiration for quilts it is just silly. It is also wonderful to hear the tales of what has happened where and to see the rooms that appear so often on television. It was fun to watch old news real later in the day and be able to say we stood there.

One of the interesting facts I didn't know was about the roads around the palace. I had noticed they are red but I never really thought about it. Well apparently all royal roads are red and are and extension of the red carpet. Cool, I've driven on red carpet then.

It was a lot of fun spending the day with another quilter. It is always interesting to meet new people with the same interests, and I love how often quilters do just get along. I got to learn some more about art, which was wonderful and I got to share things about our country. What more could you ask for. Well maybe the chance to meet up again? Sorted, next week at the NEC. It doesn't get better than that.


Anyway back to what I have been working on recently.

I've been promising a picture of the completed chair, and here it is. Sorry about the cluttered background I only remembered to take the picture just as I was about to walk out the door to deliver it to the collection center. I am thrilled with how solid it has ended up. It gives me a lot of hope for making a larger version. This one is about child sized, and would probably support a cat or a small child. Not bad given it is all textiles and held together entirely with stitches. One of the things I saw in the palace today was a chair which was supported by sphinxes. The way it was built would have worked very well in fabric and as it was very chunky in the structural areas it gives me a lot of scope to add strength. It is something I may have pt have a play with.

On the longarm I have another wholecloth. This is my entry for the Longarm Gallery at the Festival of Quilts. The theme is black white and a colour, shades of grey are also allowed. It is hard to see but there are several shades of grey thread being used here. I am quite happy with how it is coming along and I am really enjoying doing it. This photo was taken yesterday morning so I could see how the shading was coming. I still can't see things when I look at them directly. I need a photograph to reduce them and let me see them from a distance.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your quilt is stunning!

Ferret said...

Thanks Vicky.

Penny said...

The chair is looking really good, I really wish I could get to the FoQ to see it in person.

Ferret said...

It would have been good to see you too. It will be coming to the next guild regional day, I'll let you know where and when.

Eileen said...

Ferret,
Both the chair and wholecloth are awesome!
I took a class with Esterita(Terri) earlier this year. Isn't she wonderful to talk to? If you see her again befor she leaves for Italy, say hi from Eileen(Siobhan).

Eileen said...

Sorry, I didn't see the date on your post. My bad.